‘Indie Kingdom’ prepares a new generation of storytellers and reporters to develop and share local stories using the tools of the trade, both traditional and new while earning secondary credit. WGDR and Goddard College have partnered with Big Heavy World to expand this program to Chittenden County, bringing a new storytelling skills-building experience to high schools in the region. The position below is central to the project, supported in great part by the Vermont Community Foundation.
If interested in applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, a sample of audio work and three employment references to Big Heavy World, P.O. Box 428, Burlington, VT 05402-0428 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Big Heavy World provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
The Indie Kingdom Youth Radio Program Coordinator and Educator offers professional guidance to teacher-partners in customizing and integrating Indie Kingdom into their pedagogical goals and state/school mandated curriculum. This position works with partnering schools to help their students learn about, create, and broadcast high-quality audio story recordings of stories from their communities using the Indie Kingdom Youth Radio Program Curriculum, and the curriculum of their classroom teachers.
The 10-15 hours per week position, reports directly to the Executive Director of Big Heavy World. The position stewards planning and development for Indie Kingdom with partnering schools and related institutions, alongside the Executive Director of Big Heavy World. The position is heavily focused on teaching and administrative management of the Indie Kingdom Youth Radio Training Program curriculum.
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities
- Cultivates relationships with prospective school classroom teachers, counseling program representative and/or community-based learning program representative.
- Presents Indie Kingdom opportunity at potential partner schools using existing Indie Kingdom productions
- Offers introductory audio production training to partnering educators
- Stewards the Indie Kingdom Youth Radio Training curriculum with partnering schools
- Acts as liaison between partner schools and Big Heavy World
- Collaborates with partnering educator in classroom to drive classroom and related audio story goals
- Develops supplemental educational materials in support of IK curriculum
- Partners with BHW PD to find placement of student material on The Radiator airwaves
- BA in related field
- Experience with audio production platforms (e.g., Adobe Audition, Audacity, etc.), field recording equipment (e.g., Zooms), and radio broadcasting equipment required
- Knowledge of and experience in education required
- Knowledge of FCC legal compliance regulations and general best practices for Non-commercial Educational radio broadcasting preferred
- Excellent communications interpersonal and organizational skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently, with focus and attention to detail
- Demonstrated the ability to exhibit teamwork and adaptability.
- Working knowledge Google platforms